Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dial up VPN connections fail following Win 8 to Win 8.1 RTM upgrade

I had a strange problem yesterday. I have several dial-up VPN connections that I use daily. With Windows 8 these were working fine. I upgraded the machine from Win 8 to Win 8.1 with the RTM bits. Following the upgrade none of the dial up VPN connections would work. They all reported Error 720 : A Connection to the remote computer could not be established. Other Windows 8 machines on the same network could connect to identical servers without any problem. In the end I found that rebooting the ADSL router (the one the client machines were connected to) fixed the problem. I've no idea why all the Windows 8 machines could connect but the Windows 8.1 machine refused until the router was restarted. If you come across the same problem it might be worth trying a router reboot. Let me know if it works for you.

Andrew

No comments: